Thursday, June 9, 2016

Oops Paint - Leftovers of the Painting World


Do leftovers exists in the paint world? Oh, yes they do! I’ve painted nearly my entire house with them! Leftovers are the paint that was mixed and rejected at the paint store, (more commonly referred to as “oops paint”) or the remnants of your own past projects. My personal collection started with 11 gallons of paint that we acquired when we first moved into our house. It is as though someone was planning to paint every surface, got started … and gave up. Boy am I glad they did! It would’ve been a huge waste of time to paint the interior of a house white before someone as exuberant as me moved in. I would go crazy in an all white house! I need color! Big color! The more saturated the better…eggplant accent walls, anise entry way, blood-red half-bath, navy blue living room, and my favorite: a peacock-inspired master bedroom. (That’s right: purple, teal and green – delish!)


To tour my house you might think that I have spent hours laboring on the palette in each room. But I have a secret - I’m terribly impatient when it comes to paint picking. It serves me much better to have a stash ready to go so I can jump into any project on a whim. That is why, tucked in the corner of my basement guestroom, (the only neutral room in the house) I have a library of paints, ready to go.

It has taken me nearly seven years to build this amazing collection. Each time I am at a home improvement store I walk past the “oops” orphans and see if anything catches my eye. Most usually it does but there are a number of times I walk away empty handed. I have found so many fantastic colors that were abandoned by their creators. I myself have requested a paint color only a handful of times. Most usually because it’s a large project and I know I will need multiple cans, or the color is so extreme it’s not likely to be an accident.

The greatest benefit of my practice is you can purchase paint at a fraction of the cost. (Usually about six dollars per gallon.) As exciting as this is to a dumpster-diving-savings girl like me…the greatest value lies in the ability to start a project on a whim and come up with amazing results.

Let me share with you some of the lessons I’ve learned along the way:

All paints are not created equal
It’s important to know your product. Even at six dollars a gallon, a cheap paint is not a great deal. Sure, I use cheap paint. There are times that it doesn’t matter and you just need to get something covered. But cheap paint is usually runny, does not cover well, and it takes multiple applications to reach the full saturation of color. Do your homework, know your finishes and research brands. Know what’s quality and go for the good stuff.   

Self-awareness is key
Don’t buy it just because it’s cheap. If you don’t like purple, purchasing a paint on clearance isn’t going to make you like that color any more. Personally, I like bright colors, and because my house is mid-century modern I can get away with some pretty bold stuff. I tend to purchase colors that are true to the period or coordinate well with my tastes. I love olive green, but it would be horribly out of place in my home. Lime green, on the other hand, would fit right in.

Two wrongs can make a right
You’re going to find some crazy-ugly colors on the oops shelf. Knowing your color wheel, or at least understanding the difference between warm and cool, can get you a long way! Those ugly colors might serve you well if you have the right combination. Remember, warm + cool = neutral. It’s as simple as that. It’s also true that you can mix anything with white and it becomes a muted tone. My father is the master of beautifully composed neutrals; a little of this, a splash of that, and voila! The most perfect off-white you have ever seen. I’ve even known people to ask the paint counter to add color to darken their treasures. If your working with old paints, This Old House has some excellent tips.

The right tools make all the difference
Good brushes and a knowledge of the craft is super important. There are rules that must be followed no matter what. You can’t cheat when it comes to prep. Volunteer to help friends with projects…you’ll learn TONS from them! It’s amazing how much easier cutting in or painting trim can be with the right brush. But I would’ve never known that if it weren’t for my friend Drew (thanks, man.) What tools do you need to pick out left-over paints? - A DIY sense of adventure, a heart for creativity and most importantly, a flexible attitude! It may take you a while to get comfortable on this journey, but before long, you’ll be creating amazing results that are by no means an accident.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment